University Square is probably the best-known square in the entire country, being the “zero Kilometer” of entire network of roads of Romania. Situated in the center of Bucharest, it is probably the most representative location of the Capital, being realized in a style that encourages urban modernization and having some strong Parisian influences.
The square is built in a way that it delimits the north-south and east-west axis of the city, following the hausmannian model. The square’s origins go as far back as the 15th century, when here laid the northern margin of the fair of Bucharest. Two hundred years passed by until the Square was contained in the perimeter of the city, and around it lots of shops or buildings with a commercial profile have appeared. It even became the most important cultural point in the city, because of the founding of Școala Domnească by Șerban Cantacuzino. Afterwards, it was transformed into Academia Domnească and, in 1818, received a new name – The National School from Sf. Sava.
In 1857, the construction for the University building starts, under the supervision of the architect Alexandru Orescu. The building is inaugurated 12 years later and new blocks will be added to it, in 1912 and 1926.