The Roman Square is situated at the crossroads between 2 big boulevards of Bucharest: Lascăr Catargiu and Magheru. Dacia Boulevard cuts through the square, from east to west.
The Roman Square has become one of the key places of the city only in the beginning of the 20th century. Initially, it was named after Lascăr Catargiu, and it had in the middle a statue of him, that was destroyed in the communist period. The name “Roman Square” came from the former appellation of the Mihai Eminescu Street – The Roman Street.
The development of the Roman Square had started in the last century, once the Palace of the Commercial Academy was raised (known today as ASE), between 1916 and 1926. A very interesting thing is the fact that the initially plans of the architects contained another building, identical with the ASE one, which was supposed to enlarge the Palace.