Sturdza Palace was built at the end of 19th century, as per the wishes of Grigore Sturdza, the son of the ruler Mihail Sturdza. The construction plan was drawn by a German architect, Iulius Reinqke, who decided that the Palace would have an eclectic, grandiloquent style.
Sturdza dies shortly after the Palace is constructed and doesn’t get to live here, so the building becomes the residence of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This will be the place where, in 1913, the Peace Treaty of Bucharest will be signed, which ended for a while the Balkan wars. The Palace suffers great damage in 1945, and is considered to be beyond repair by the administration of that time, which will decide to build a new Palace, named the Palace of the Council of Ministers (today is known as the Government building). Its’ foundation was already established in 1937, and by 1952, the new building has risen, as per the projects of Marcu Duiliu, and under the supervision of King Carol the 2nd. The building coexisted alongside Sturdza Palace until 1945, in Victory Square.