Located in the square with the same name, The Northern Railway is the biggest railway in Romania, linking together all the areas of the country. The railway station is also the biggest entrance point of the country.
The Northern Railway Station was founded in 1868/1869, its inauguration being officiated at a later date, on September 13th 1972. The first route was Roman-Galați-București-Pitești. The initial name of the station was Gara Târgoviștei because, at that time, Calea Griviței of today was named Calea Târgoviștei. The Northern Railway Station wasn’t constructed with the purpose of becoming the main railway point of Romania. At first, only 7 lines were built, destined both for people and goods transportation, and a lot of workshops.
In 1888, the station gets the “Northern” part of his name, because Calea Târgoviștei changes its’ name. The edifice was constructed following the plans of the Ministry of Public Works, but in the year of its’ name change, it had to be rehabilitated.
A telephone switchboard in installed in the station in 1890, which had 25 lines only in Bucharest. The stations’ extension continues until the point in which, during the interwar period, the station has 6 lines for departures and 4 for arrivals.