The Grand Infantry Barracks were in the former Bethlen Reformed College building and due to its massive character, as well as the ground floor and the floor, which could provide shelter to a staff of over 1,000 soldiers. In the documents of the times, the building that had characteristic features of the late Renaissance in Transylvania appeared in 1663 to be the property of the secretary of Prince Mihail Apaffy, then, between 1694-1703, he was in possession of Count Ştefan Apor, the Transylvanian treasurer.
From the beginning of the 19th century the edifice seems to receive a new destination from the Austrian military authorities, namely the residence of the general garrison commander. After 1918, the barracks changed their name to the barracks Mihai Viteazul. Today, the building is restored and shelters the Rectorate of the University 1 December 1918.