The Queen Elisabeta Boulevard is located in the 5th sector of Bucharest and links University Square with the Mihail Kogălniceanu Square. The avenue was built at the request of Queen Elisabeta, who wanted a direct route between the Cotroceni Palace and Cișmigiu Gardens. Traffic was opened in 1870, and the boulevard was named Elisabeta Doamna (Mrs). Actually, the boulevard has had 4 different names throughout its’ history>
- 1870 – 1948: Elisabeta Doamna (or the Academy Boulevard)
- 1948 – 1956: Boulevard “6th March”
- 1965 – 1990: Gheorghe Gheorghiu Dej Boulevard
- 1990 – Present day: Queen Elisabeta Boulevard
Here was inaugurated, on 8th November 1871, the statue of the ruler Mihai Viteazul, which quickly becomes a very popular place for business or romantic meetings.
At the end of the year 1894, the first electric tramway, with the number 14, passes through the boulevard. The lighting made with neon lamps comes on the boulevard in 1957. The first electric traffic light in the Capital has also been inaugurated here, 30 years ago. At that time, it only had 2 lights: red and green.
According to historians, the Sarindar Monastery, which was sat on the place that is currently occupied by the Military National Circle, was demolished in order to make way for the boulevard.