The Crețulescu Church (or Kretzulescu) is situated on Calea Victoriei, in the 1st sector of Bucharest, and is considered as one of the most valuable architectural monuments of the Capital since the end of the reign of Constantin Brâncoveanu. The church was built in only 2 years, between 1720 and 1722 and its’ founders were Iordache Crețulescu and his wife, Safta, the daughter of the ruler Constantin Brâncoveanu.
Near the church, Crețulescu built an inn, which was situated at that time at the northern barrier of the city, named ”La puțul cu Zale”. Between 1815 and 1859, the church had renovation works done. These modified the initial architecture of the building, destroying entirely the exterior decorations. The original fresco was replaced by a picture in oil, realized by Gheorghe Tattarescu.
The convent went through modifications between 1935 and 1936, made following the plans of Ștefan Balș and the Comission of Historic Monuments. However, the exterior drywall hasn’t been remade, after the initial one was completely destroyed in the previous works. The oil painting made by Tattarescu was removed, in favour of the initial fresco. The founders’ portraits, also made by Tattarescu, have been kept.